Georgia State won’t open summer camp until August, so it’s a perfect time to start looking ahead to the teams the Panthers will face during the upcoming season.
I’ve already done the opener against Charlotte, Week 2 opponent New Mexico State, Week 3 opponent Oregon,Week 4 opponent Liberty, Week 5 opponent Appalachian State and Week 6 opponent Ball State.
Let’s turn to Arkansas State, the first of six conference opponents. The Panthers will have a bye before facing the Red Wolves
The Panthers will travel to Jonesboro for an Oct. 31 meeting. Kickoff is TBA.
2014 record: 7-6, 5-3.
Coach: Blake Anderson, second year.
Starters returning: Nine on offense, including quarterback Fredi Knighten, running back Michael Gordon, wide receivers Tres Houston, Dijon Paschal and J.D. McKissic, tight end Darion Griswold, offensive linemen Jemar Clark, Colton Jackson and Devin Mondie.
Five on defense, including defensive linemen Ja’Von Rolland-Jones, Chris Stone and Chuks Ota, linebacker Xavier Woodson and safety Money Hunter.
Offensive system: Multiple.
Defensive system: Multiple.
Three significant stats last year:
- The Red Wolves averaged 36.7 points and 476.5 yards per game. They rushed for 216.4 yards per game.
- The defense allowed averages of 421.2 yards and 30.5 points per game.
- The Red Wolves also had 37 sacks with a Sun Belt-best 16 interceptions and 12 fumbles recovered.
Key starters returning:
- Quarterback Fredi Knighten had 3,277 yards and 24 touchdowns. He also rushed for 969 yards and 11 touchdowns.
- Tres Houston, Dijon Paschal and J.D. McKissic each had at least 600 yards receiving.
- Michael Gordon rushed for at least 1,100 yards and 13 touchdowns.
- Three of the five starters on the offensive line.
How does Georgia State match up
It seems like I keep repeating myself, but this is yet another opponent that returns a lot of starters on offense.
The Red Wolves rolled the Panthers 52-10 last year in the Georgia Dome.
While Arkansas State’s offensive line has to do some minor tinkering, the return of all those skill position players will likely mean this game will be a shootout.