Photo Texas State Athletics
Saturday’s action saw the conference race get tighter with a lot of interesting outcomes. The Texas State Bobcats and Georgia State Panthers evened their series forcing Sunday rubber matches while the UT Arlington Mavericks took the first game of a double-header to earn the series win over the Louisiana Monroe Warhawks.
Texas State comes out on top in another pitcher’s duel in defeating the South Alabama Jaguars setting up a Sunday rubber match for the series win. The Bobcats improve to 18-12 overall and 7-4 in the Sun Belt (tied with the Arkansas State Red Wolves for second) while South Alabama falls to 14-16 with a 4-6 Sun Belt mark.
Georgia State held off a late inning comeback attempt by UALR to get the win and even the series at a game apiece. The Panthers are now 15-17 and 4-7 in the Sun Belt while the Trojans move to 12-16 with a 2-9 conference record.
UT Arlington won the first game of their double header Saturday to extend their win streak to five games and clinch their second straight Sun Belt series victory. The Warhawks would win game two to end the winning streak and avoid being swept in the series. The Mavs improve to 14-18 with a 6-6 Sun Belt record while the Warhawks fall to 13-20 and 5-7 in the Sun Belt.
Sun Belt Baseball Action
Texas State 2, South Alabama 0
SAN MARCOS, Texas – Bobcats’ starter Austen Williams (Jr., RHP) hurled his first career complete game shutout to get the Saturday win over the Jaguars 2-0. South Alabama junior righty Kevin Hill was equal to the task allowing only two runs over eight innings in the loss. Colby Targun (Jr., RF) and Garrett Mattlage (Jr., SS) had a pair of RBI singles that provided the offense for Texas State.
- TSU – Austen Williams (Jr., RHP) W, 4-1, 9.0 IP, 4 H, BB, 7 K, CG
- TSU – Colby Targun (Jr., RF) 1-for-4, RBI
- TSU – Garrett Mattlage (Jr., SS) 1-for-4, RBI
- USA – Kevin Hill (Jr., RHP) L, 2-4, 8.0 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 4 BB, 8 K, CG
Georgia State 3, UALR 2
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. – Panthers’ starter Nathan Bates (So., RHP) threw six and one-third scoreless innings before yielding to reliever Kevin Burgee (Jr., RHP) who would close out the game, holding off a late-inning comeback attempt by the Trojans. Chase Raffield (RSr., RF)and Joey Roach (So., C) each slapped solo homers for Georgia State in the win.
- GSU – Nathan Bates (So., RHP) W, 1-1, 6.1 IP, 5 H, 2 BB, 4 K
- GSU – Kevin Burgee (Jr., RHP) S, 5, 2.2 IP, H, ER, BB, K
- GSU – Chase Raffield (RSr., RF) 1-for-3, HR, SF, R, 2 RBI
- UALR – Sam Thoele (RSo., RHP) L, 0-1, 7.0 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 9 K
- UALR – Drew Merten (Jr., C) 2-for-3, R
UT Arlington 6, Louisiana Monroe 1, Game 1
ARLINGTON, Texas – Zach Thompson (Jr., RHP) allowed an earned run in 5.1 innings pitched and Keegan Hucul (Sr., LHP) hurled the final 3.2 innings scoreless to give the Mavs the series victory over ULM. Ryan Bottger (Jr., LF/1B) drove in a run and scored a run while Derek Miller (Jr., CF) added two RBI and Justin Copeland (Sr., RF) scored two runs in the UTA effort. Eric Tate (Jr., 2B) went 3-for-4 with a run scored for the Mavs.
- UTA – Zach Thompson (Jr., RHP) W, 2-3, 5.1 IP, 6 H, ER, 5 BB, 5 K
- UTA – Keegan Hucul (Sr., LHP) S, 1, 3.2 IP, 2 K
- UTA – Ryan Bottger (Jr., LF/1B) 1-for-4, 2B, R, RBI
- ULM – Chad Miller (Sr., LHP) L, 2-1, 5.2 IP, 6 H, 3 K
Louisiana Monroe 7, UT Arlington 5, 10 innings, Game 2
ARLINGTON, Texas – Tyler Bray (Sr., RHP) came on in relief and fired four scoreless innings, striking out four, to get the win and help ULM avoid a weekend sweep. The Warhawks scored two runs on a bases loaded walk and hit batsman to go ahead in the 10th inning for the win. Chet Simoneux (RSr., C) scored two runs and knocked in two more for ULM while Matt Shortall (Sr., DH) hit a solo shot for the Mavs.
- ULM – Tyler Bray (Sr., RHP) W, 4-3, 4.0 IP, 3 H, 2 BB, 4 K
- ULM – Chet Simoneux (RSr., C) 1-for-3, BB, HBP, 2 R, 2 RBI
- UTA – Jess Amedee (Jr., RHP) L, 1-4, 1.1 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 2 K
- UTA – Matt Shortall (Sr., DH) 2-for-5, HR, 2B, R, RBI