LAFAYETTE, La. – Junior second baseman Jace Conrad hit a sixth inning grand slam to break a 3-3 tie and lift the No. 7 Louisiana Lafayette Ragin’ Cajuns to the series win over the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers 7-4. The homer was Conrad’s fifth on the year. The Cajuns built the lead on the back of Seth Harrison‘s(Sr., CF) three RBI day as he drove in Ryan Leonards (Sr., 3B) with a first inning ground out and then hit is fifth homer of the year, a two-run shot in the third to extend the lead to 3-0.
The Cajuns remain tops in the Sun Belt at 8-1 while improving to 24-2 overall with a one game lead over the Arkansas State Red Wolves and travel to play at the Troy Trojans (15-13, 4-4 Sun Belt) next weekend. WKU falls to 14-14 overall and 4-5 in the Sun Belt and will host the Arkansas State Red Wolves (16-12, 7-2 Sun Belt) next weekend.
Sun Belt Conference Baseball Scores
No. 7 Louisiana Lafayette 7, Western Kentucky 4
- ULL – Connor Toups (W, 1-0) 4.1 IP, 3 H, ER, BB
- WKU – Jake Thompson (L, 2-2) 5.1 IP, 5 H, 6 ER, 3 BB, 5 K
- ULL – Ryan Leonards 2-for-3, 2B, BB, 3 R
- WKU – Ryan Church 1-for-2, 2 BB, R, RBI
Troy 13, Georgia State 9
ATLANTA, Ga. – Senior second basemen Garrett Pitts went 4-for-5 with a walk, two runs scored and four RBI to help the Troy Trojans avoid a sweep at the Georgia State Panthers in Sun Belt play Sunday. Troy improves to 15-13 overall and evens out at 4-4 in the Sun Belt while the Panthers drop to 14-15 overall and 3-6 in the Sun Belt. Troy hosts the No. 7 Louisiana Lafayette Ragin’ Cajuns (24-2, 8-1 Sun Belt) next weekend while the Panthers play at the UALR Trojans (11-13, 1-8 Sun Belt) for the next round of conference play.
- Troy – Jeremy McGowan (W, 2-2) 5.1 IP, 4 H, ER, 3 BB, 2 K
- GSU – Tyler McClure (L, 2-3) 0.2 IP, 3 H, 3 ER
- Troy – David Hall 3-for-5, 2 R, RBI
- GSU – Chase Raffield 2-for-4, HR, 2 R, 3 RBI
Louisiana Monroe 16, UALR 5, 7 innings
MONROE, La. – Justin Stawychny (Jr., LF) hit two homers while driving in five runs to pace the Louisiana Monroe Warhawks to a 16-5 win over the UALR Trojans. The Warhawks pull of the sweep and improve to 11-17 overall, 4-5 in the Sun Belt while the Trojans drop to 11-13 and 1-8 in the Sun Belt. The Warhawks play at the UT Arlington Mavericks (12-16, 4-5 Sun Belt) next weekend while UALR hosts the Georgia State Panthers (14-15, 3-6 Sun Belt) in the next round of Sun Belt play.
- ULM – Alex Hermeling (W, 1-3) 5.0 IP, H, 3 BB, 8 K
- UALR – Cameron Allen (L, 2-2) 1.2 IP, 5 H, 5 ER, BB, K
- ULM – Justin Stawychny 3-for-4, 2 HR, 2 R, 5 RBI
- UALR – Kilgore Gailmard 1-for-2, 3 RBI
MOBILE, Ala. – Senior righty Daniel Millman hurled six scoreless innings allowing only a hit and recording a strike out as the UT Arlington Mavericks complete the road sweep of the South Alabama Jaguars with a 6-1 victory on Sunday. The Mavericks improve to 12-16 on the year and 4-5 in the Sun Belt and play host to the Louisiana Monroe Warhawks (11-17, 4-5 Sun Belt). The Jaguars fall to 13-13, 3-4 in the Sun Belt and play at the Texas State Bobcats (16-11, 6-3 Sun Belt) in next weekend’s Sun Belt Action.
- UTA – Daniel Millman (W, 3-0) 6.0 IP, H, K
- USA – Hunter Soleymani (L, 0-1) 4.2 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 4 BB, 5 K
- UTA – Derek Miller 2-for-4, 2B, SH, R, RBI